Warning: Fibre cement products contain crystalline silica. Breathing in the fine silica dust liberated when working with products such as fibre cement, clay and concrete is hazardous. Over time, usually a number of years, this can result in bronchitis, silicosis (lung scaring) or cancer. Cigarette smoking increases silica related risks.
Working safely: Work safely with fibre cement products by minimising dust and following these precautions:
- Minimise dust when cutting or drilling fibre cement products.
- All dry power cutting must be carried out in the open air or in well-ventilated spaces and dust extraction equipment misty be fitted to the dry cutting tool
- For fast, clean cutting of fibre cement products, we recommend use of the James Hardie HardieBlade™ Disc. For full instructions, refer to the HardieBlade™ Disc packaging
- When using power tools or abrasive hand tools on panels, wear approved personal protective equipment - i.e. P1 or P2 dust mask and safety goggles approved to AS/NZS1337 Eye Protectors for Industrial Applications
- Contain dust during clean-up and disposal
- These precautions are not necessary when stacking, loading or unloading fibre cement products
James Hardie Material Safety Data Sheet - FULL DOCUMENT
Mineral Wool Safety Data Sheet
James Hardie Base Coat Safety Data Sheet
James Hardie Top Coat Safety Data Sheet